February 21, 2012

Burberry Prorsum Fall/Winter 2012 RTW

So far, Fashion Week has been coming along swimmingly!  Designers seem to be on track, and as far as I've seen, there hasn't been a major disappointment of a collection (although on a side note, Erdem did take a slightly different route this season.  I don't think it was necessarily the wrong route, but in the end, it's the customer who decides).  Having said that, the one standout collection has been Burberry.  It was a spectacular show, but you wouldn't have realized it at first glance - as it is with many collections.  Only after discovering the inspiration behind the collection, understanding the craftsmanship, and witnessing the beautiful ending (which means you can't just sift through photos!), could you have truly appreciated the collection.

Christopher Bailey titled this show Town and Field, which essentially led to a procession of looks with both urban and rural style.  I'm going to focus on the women, but the men had fabulously slim pants and a delightful mix of textures too.  Very country dapper!  The main silhouette throughout the show was a waist cinched with a bow belt, and exaggerated peplum hips.  The coat with the ruffled front was one of my favourite looks in the collection.
So how is this a mixture of town and field?  It may not be obvious at first, but once pencil skirts decorated with huge zigzag ruffles, military and utility inspired jackets, owl graphic tees, knits and corduroy stitched with leather, and trenchcoats with herringbone sides appeared, the oxymoron asserted itself.
Velvet started to be used on jackets and skirts, providing a unique clash with the studded, leather gloves.  A standout was definitely the deep colour blocked puff coat.
Finally, the message took hold of us with lovely flower print, casual striped tees embroidered with chunky beads, and metallic fringe.  Not to mention the divine diamond quilted velvet coat that finished off the show.
As a finale, fake rain poured over the transparent tent, and flakes of snow (or rain, if you will) fluttered down the interior as the models came out carrying umbrellas.  It was an ending that sent waves of chills over me.  In the tongue-in-cheek (or not really) words of the ever articulate Tim Blanks, "Perhaps the rain was just another metaphor, this time for all the money showering down on Burberry."

Watch the entire show here.  Yes, it's a 23 minute video, but the ending is well worth it.

Image Source: Style.com

14 comments:

  1. I like it, but like with a lot of high fashion, I don't completely get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally cool! High fashion isn't for everyone, but I just love the fantasy, passion and opulence of it. I adore street fashion too...it amazes me how these average women can look like a million bucks!

      Delete
  2. Like your blog,it is so interesting!
    Btw, thnx for visiting my blog.
    cu

    juliete-has-a-gun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love blog post! Aimee
    www.new-yorkdoll.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about the fifth look that I find positively irresistible. I am always obsessed with the Burberry collections! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That look was the first one that caught my eye when I scanned through all the photos. Just something so amazing about a long coat ruffled in the front like that, isn't there?

      Delete
  5. I always fall in love with everything they feature. They constantly produce the best stuff.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. heyy thanks so much for checking out and commenting on my blog! and lovely pictures, this collection looks amazing!! :D Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The designs are beautiful ( I am saving some of it for a little ambition of altering future dresses )...quite have not seem most of those yet...the trench coats, bow belts, bows on the shoulders and the velvets...of course the choreography made me imagine how Burberry got the million applause! You are right...there comes the big $!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. country dapper perfectly describes these designs. love them.

    Stop by and enter my Vedette giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog! And follow you!
    Thanks for reading me, and hope you will follow me too.

    xoxo
    Katty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,
    How are you? Hope your well. :)

    I was just about to post a Burberry Prorsum jacket. It has studs all around. I love this line. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Burberry Prorsum, always. A few years ago they did studded coats and they were amazing. And so is this collection!
    Thanks for visiting!

    xoxo Sootjeelina <3

    ReplyDelete