February 3, 2012

Givenchy Spring 2012 Couture

I've always wanted to do a review on Givenchy couture, because for the past couple of seasons, its couture has just been absolutely exquisite and a pleasure to look at.  However, I never ended up making a post because as intricate as Givenchy's couture was, it was the same general look every season.   
Fall 2011 Couture

Spring 2011 Couture

Fall 2010 Couture
You were guaranteed to see sheer skirts, and skeleton-like embroidery.  Beautiful, no doubt, but I didn't want to see "beautiful" get stuck in a rut.  Luckily, Riccardo Tisci has never gone past the line, and the exceptional detailing has continually made each couture collection a success.  But, before Fall 2010, he's demonstrated that he can do more than just sheer skirts and magnificent detailing in his couture shows, and I was happy to see that he reminded us of that with his Spring 2012 Couture collection:
Quite a difference, huh?  Some people might not like the dark, harshness of this collection compared to the previous ethereal, romantic collections, but every designer needs to mix it up once in a while, and right now is Tisci's time.  First, he played around with crocodile skin, but of course, seeing as this is couture, that's not enough.  According to Nicole Phelps at Style.com, "The scales on the hide were individually cut and numbered, then bleached, dyed, and resewn one by one in order onto a tulle body stocking."  A total of 350 hours, ladies and gentlemen.
Next came crystals, my favourite part of the collection.  The draped sleeves on the first white dress are so angelic, and if you really want to get a good look at them, I encourage you go to the link below.  The back of all these creations have just as many surprises as the front.  There was a mix of high and low, with the fanciest overalls you will ever see worn overtop a plain white tank. 
Finally, in the black and white section, the essence of the collection was summed up.  Dark and light.  A haunting, almost off-putting collection (those noserings and earrings still give me goosebumps everytime I look at them), glamorized with breathtaking bits of lightness.  In a completely abstract way that may only make sense in my mind, it was like a piece of text that was first bolded, then italicized.
This was such an escape from Tisci's couture collections as of late.  I genuinely hopes he continues to explore beyond his beloved sheer skeletons...with the occasional visit back.  We could never give up those pieces of art.

See the collection in more detail here.

Image Source: Style.com

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Yes, I think if the design for succeeding seasons is almost the same, people would be seeking more! A fresh unpredictable change is thrilling, and a total of 350 hours? wow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't like the 2012's collection at all.not a single one look.i can see the difference and the hard work but the previous ones were so amazing!great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what a change and such a surprise! It's like the brakes were stepped on and he turned the design wheel entirely around and headed in a different direction for interest! I always love to see variety. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment, darling ... have a wonderful weekend! XOXO

    Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what Riccardo did this season, really quirky! But hated the weird mouthpieces....


    Thanks for dropping by! Hopefully I'll learn to incorporate architecture into my design :)
    XXASAB
    New post: Designs and garments for SALE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great collection! love the color pattern and the first piece! really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything, it's so arty !!! but the third dress is my favorite !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I'm telling this too much in my last comment but it's just the truth! I agree completely with your review and I have to say that maybe you just wrote what I think about Tisci.

    When I saw this collection for the first time I was surprised but in the meantime amazed, because the use of crocodile and the innovation makes me think that Givenchy, as you wrote, is not always the same "couture thing" but it can still make something innovative. wow!

    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. DYING over the third look. The aesthetic and detailing is so intricate and out of this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with both the romantic looks of the past and the dark looks of the latest collection. The current collection is a little haunting and totally edgy. And I love that it's photographed on a basketball court! As much as I love the darkness of it all, my favorite look you showed here was from the fall 2010 show. That dress is stunning!

    **kisses**
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. The makeup for the Riccardo Tisci's spring 2012 collection looks at Hitler's stack. ;)

    ReplyDelete