November 1, 2010

For the Love of Fashion

I've posted about a lot of things on this blog, but one thing I haven't done is explain the quote that I find embodies the purpose behind my blog.   

"Fashion is so often presented in the culture as a thing of froth, which, of course, it partly is; but the bubbles are blown with care and a sense of values”.

I read this quote by Anna Wintour in Vogue's September 2009 issue, and to this day, I consider it one of fashion's greatest quotes.  The reason being because it rings so true.  Fashion is often seen as frivolous, and to be frank, it is.  You look at fashion's obsession with beauty, its provocativeness, the partying, the smoking, the glamour...and you can't help but think fashion is froth.


But then you go deeper, and you see the designer bent over sketches, the seamstress spending hours on delicate fabric, the designer's insistence that the inside of the garment be just as beautiful as the outside, the constant desire to make women feel confident, the appreciation for raw talent...and you begin to see the values behind fashion.


As much as fashion is about glamour, it's also about passion.  The two sides of fashion co-exist to create the exciting and intriguing world of fashion that we know of.  There would be no glamour without dedication, and there would be no dedication without glamour.  I said at the beginning of this blog that I love and respect fashion, and it is my hopes that this blog is a celebration and reflection of my love for the extravagant side of fashion, and my respect for the admirable side of fashion.  Like Anna Wintour's quote, I aspire to make you think, make you smile, and make you love fashion that much more.

Image Source: Roberto Cavalli, Karl Lagerfeld

21 comments:

  1. WOWWW. I completely agree with this post. Sometimes I think, "Wow?! How do I love this medium so much?! It's so frivolous and stupid?!"

    but then I remember how beautiful it is and how I am so enthralled by it all.

    Great post, my friend!

    QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think of it as another expression of creativity, who is to judge that a painting has more cultural value than a McQueen dress, they are just different mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo true! what a great post :D You really have to have a passion for fashion ;)
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. truly awesome post. the frivolous things in life still can have deep meaning and be the inspiration that makes the world go round :D

    Vonnie
    http://www.socialitedreams.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right! Though not every fashionista lives a life of froth, I mean drinking, smoking, drugs sometimes...I believe there are some who live a healthy life :)
    XOXO, Lidia
    www.thegirlbehindthefashionmask.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what I've been yelling for the past few months! Thanks for posting this.

    Love Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said it! I agreed with you 100% about fashion. So many people I knew think that fashion is a waste of time. It really makes me sad that they don't try to understand how powerful and magical fashion can be to someone's life! xoxooxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have hit the nail on the head! This is all too true! I hadn't heard that quote before and I do love the wording in the way that it describes fashion also. x

    http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree and just love that quote. And that first photo - gorgeous energy and style. Adore!

    http://redumbrellachronicles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sooo creative - lug this post!
    cupcake
    www.fashion-tarts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This seriously is the best post I ever read explaining fashion! They try very often in magazines, but this is way better! FABULOUS!
    Btw, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, I really appreciate it

    xoxo Sootjeelina <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we all take fashion as we want it to be, from the ultra fashionable to those who have no fashion sense. it's what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are absolutely RIGHT! "As much as fashion is about glamour, it's also about passion." PASSION!

    maybe you can like my blog...take a look to

    http://leroicoquette.blogspot.com/
    LE ROI COQUETTE

    ReplyDelete
  14. ..and dreams. and making them reality.

    i love this post. very inspiring.
    hope you're having a good week.
    thanks for stopping by me
    take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think its more about signature style, fashion is not always have to be glamor, but to highlight who you are
    love this post
    <3
    http://reserveradefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't agree more! I think it is these two sides of fashion that make it so appealing to so many and that, at the same time, also allow such a great variety within its spectrum.
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There aren't so many words to say...I simply, completely, agree with you ...And the "Incipit" with the Wintour's sentence is just amazing!!

    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Shannon: Exactly! I wholeheartedly believe that fashion is an art; it is so much more than just clothes.

    @Lidia: Indeed! I think all of us here prove your point well.

    @Fashion Cappuccino: I have friends too who consider fashion to be utterly frivolous, and it's sad when they don't look past the glamour.

    @ediot: Yes! Fashion is fantasy-come-to-life, and I think that's why so many people love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So true on so so many levels! But i sometimes do get a but troubled when I see young girl's being objectified in fashion photos for the sake of "art". But for the most part I am TOTALLY in agreement with this post. Fashion is not all frivolity. What you wear the most fundamental form of self expression

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an excellent piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete