March 17, 2011

3.1 Phillip Lim Fall/Winter 2011 RTW

I had planned to do reviews on Oscar de la Renta, Donna Karan, Hermès, Valentino and Chanel, but with Fashion Week being over and me getting a bit busier, I'll be wrapping up my Fashion Week Marathon.  At the request of Fashion Cappuccino, 3.1 Phillip Lim will be among the last of my reviews.  Phillip Lim is a label that I have heard of for a long time now, but have never really taken a close look at.  So I'll be doing this review without much prior knowledge of his previous collections.  It wasn't hard to see, however, that this collection was all about American sportswear.  The key to any successful sportswear collection is the infusion of luxury, and Lim did just that with delicious leather pants and sleeves (leather accents are a huge favourite of mine):
From here, it was loose-fitting, but precisely tailored pieces, and a mixing of two or more textures in each outfit.  I like the tying of shirt sleeves and collars around the neck as they were a unique take on scarves, but the capri pants (second and fourth photo) I found were too slouchy, yet at the same time, fitting to be attractive.
The whole loose top with a smartly tailored jacket thrown overtop, and cropped trousers stayed strong throughout the entire collection, but it was varied with prints, different colours, lamb fur, and a dash of sparkle.
As the show finished off, looks were made evening-ready with a glossy sheen:
Luxe American sportswear has been done many times over, but Lim managed to give us some modern pieces with a twist.  Belted cropped trousers have become very popular lately (I wouldn't mind getting a pair myself!), and it's good to see Lim continuing to give us some nice options.  There were some pieces better left unmade, such as the long, shapeless camel coat, and the slouchy capri pants, but overall, it was a collection made for any busy urbanite.

Watch the entire show here.

Image Source: Style.com

24 comments:

  1. I like it! but Im not a leather fan, so there are lots of things that I dont like them :(

    See you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun collection! I love the color red that was used :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fun collection for fall! I like the coat in mango-ish colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice request! I have to say, normally I'm all about over-the-top glamour but this was so...cool. Effortless attitude and awesome pop-y neutrals and cobalts. Love it!
    x

    Laura @ theblogofobsessivecoolness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness. i need those green pants
    great blog!
    loving the posts
    stop by some time xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really right your last sentence: "...collection for any busy urbanite". I thinkt hat Lim is the personification (with, sometimes, Kors) of this style-concept. I think that the collection, however, has some new elements on which you put attention but that, in general, is only a good stylist work. Nice clothes, but nothing really really new.

    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of the collection; but I can't say that I would be moved to wear any of the pieces myself - I prefer a more fitted look in my clothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm liking the belted cropped trouser too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this really casual collection. The bright blues look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful collection, nice inspirations... Very good tastes, so colourful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Angelica! Thank you for doing this review! I thought it was a great collection but maybe a bit boring for me. I love the leather sleeves and some of the tailored pieces and glossy sheen is a nice luxurious touch. Will you be doing any model features again? xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the use of the caramel leather, especially with that blue shirt

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know much about this brand either, but I agree that Lim did a fabulous job creating uber luxe, modern american sportswear! The leather accents and loose but super chic shapes look gorgeous on the runway. I especially like the green accents in the pieces towards the end. http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous runway! I absolutely love the rich colors in this collection, especially the blues and the greens! Great post :)

    LizAnn
    VPV Intern
    http://www.ShopVPV.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. not really my style..too plain and a bit firm...I love prints and overdose=) but I like the huge knots or bows here!!love the biggie on my collar! and atleast I also seriously want to have those t-strap sandals! I appreciate your book input on my prev post, and i wonder why it was even published??! and about my hubby's lines, it is true lol..I hated to hear it though when he said.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the touch of color of this collection! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this collection so much! The second picture is my favorite, the red with blue is so nice! I LOVE 3.1 PHILIP LIM <3
    Thanks for visiting!

    xoxo Sootjeelina <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. the color blocking is fantastic!

    xx.M

    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blue and brown ! I love this unexpected association of colors !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooohhh...i love the bright blue with the cognac leather. fabulous!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE Phillip Lim!! he is awesome and his work leave me speechless!!

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing collection, I love the leather accents :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for passing by and leaving a nice comment. I love the leather accents in this collection.
    xoxo
    dolceedamara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. brown and blue! so hot combination!
    I like also the grey outfits! :D


    Veronica
    blameboogie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete