March 3, 2011

Mugler Fall/Winter 2011 RTW

There were two things that made the Mugler collection so anticipated: talks of Lady Gaga walking for the show, and the fact that this was to be Mugler's womenswear debut.  While the drama and celebrity appearance did bring up the excitement, it was extremely difficult to get a sense of the clothing with the lines of cathedral arches in the way, and the dark lighting used to create the atmosphere.  Even for those who attended the show, the opportunity to really see the clothes were slim.  Nicola Formichetti started with a sharply tailored black pantsuit, and what followed were black, tailored pieces in a mix of gloss and sheer:
And then, Lady Gaga arrived smoking and prowling around:
As she left, shots of white, blue and nude started to appear on highly structured dresses and overtop skintight leather pants:
Then, there was a shift to an eerily dark, and at times, beastly portrayal:
In a flash, the beast-in-the-wood was taken out to make way for ghostly dresses equipped with sculptural molding:
And finally, Lady Gaga gyrated down the runway in a white corset, whipping a stole in the same way she whipped her hair:
This was a good debut for Mugler, but it wasn't a great debut.  It was fun, and there were strong references to Thierry Mugler with the accentuated shoulders, but there needed to be something with a bit more oomph.

One thing that this show does bring up is the use of models. This show obviously required a certain ferociousness from the models, and it was unfortunate to see two models trying to capture that fierce spirit, but succeeding in only making some cringe-worthy, ankle-snapping stumbles on their precarious heels.  It seems that in shows that require such theatricality, only experienced models can truly display the clothing in their best light (however, I was disappointed to see Jessica Stam - one of my favourite models -with a lackluster walk).  Luckily, Coco Rocha - my #1 model - exuded enough vivacity while remaining upright on her heels to make up for all the embarrassing missteps made earlier on.  She almost rivaled Lady Gaga, who stomped out in sky-high platforms walking and twisting like she was born in them.

Watch the entire show here.

Image Source: Style.com

29 comments:

  1. Yeah I was afraid for some of the models, but overall some fierce looks.
    ~Giselle
    http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this show had the potential to be great, some of the pieces certainly have a very unique and stylish look...but then it just seems to be a line for Lady Gaga to wear on her many naked days out. Like someone on the fashion forum said... this line seemed to have been specifically made for Gaga。

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a really interesting and entertaining show but you're right, it's a bit awkward at times. I love the clothes though and Lady Gaga walking the show was really exciting to watch and especially seeing her walk in those enormous heels was just worth a look :-) xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks like a really interesting show...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't much of a fan XD Probably because I hate Lady Gaga so much... XD (she just annoys me)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thinkt hat Formichetti is a gret stylist for Gaga and VOgue Japan and so on. As a "Mugler's director" I don't know, I think that his shows (menswear and womenswear) were cool (i prefer the menswear however...) but he forgot that these collection should be sold... HEre there are too "costumes" and almost no "wearable dresses". The only "wearable clothes" are not new, at all, and the shoulder are an ugly exageration of a DOlce and Gabbana trend or a Lanvin/Margiela one....

    I hope that this great stylist could do something better in the future ;D

    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I was just about to say that Lady Gaga would totes rock these looks, and then BAM! There she is! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about lady gaga!!! I wonder if this is the start of designers trying to get stars to walk their clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeaa you're totally right.. you couldn't see the clothing that well as you're supposed to be.. the light and the arches were definitely in the way.. of course, a lot of people like lady gaga's energy.. but I think this time, it took away the light/thunder of the actual collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree...good not great. It was more for the theatrics then anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i didnt really like the collection but I thought Lady Gaga did a greta job walking the runway

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love most of them not all but it's Mugler! The colorm palette is fabulous.Have a great weekend XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the collection! I think it was brilliant! Good choice to blog about this Angelica!

    I already look forward to the next womenswear show by Mugler.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this collection and Lady Gaga hahahha

    http://clickonstyles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm, interesting. Kind of scary and literally very fierce looks. I don't know I guess I'm speechless.
    Lady Gaga, she never disappoints.
    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also love the gloss outfits, wanting to wear one! the shoes, I don't know if I am ready, they seem to be pretty safe since its a platform...=)Lady Gaga is doing some tremendous appearances, and CoCo Rocha is also beautiful esp with an Interior Designer bf who spoils her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The beginning and end looks aren't my favorite, but I really like the bright pops of color and the electric blue ensemble in the middle! Really interesting that Mugler included Lady Gaga, I think it added some excitement to the show, however it's too bad many spectators weren't able to get a good view/sense of the looks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha funny how Lady Gaga appeared! :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the light outfits alot. the dark ones not so much. lagy gaga....

    http://vernisaongle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. His stuff is so crazy, I love it! super sexy


    xoxo
    Miss Neira

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what edgy looks.

    www.alifeinthefashionlane.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. AH lady gaga! crazy! i love mugler!!

    xx.M

    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Angelica! Thank you so much for sending me the link to youtube and it's so sweet of you to think of me! I love the ad and I feel so happy just watching it! I'm so glad that we're both romantics! :-) xoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how edgy this collection is. The structured pieces and dark colours both look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This collection was ok, but I don't think it's greatly memorable and perhaps some of the model antics and Lady Gaga herself, distracted a lot of the focus from the actual collection. This is definitely stuff I can see Gaga wear, but a lot of the sheer and structured pieces aren't exactly things you can imagine in department stores. I also don't think the collection is all that cohesive, but that may just be me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A lot of you are saying it's not wearable, and I agree with that. Wearable for Gaga maybe, but I'm having a hard time imagining how these looks will translate into retail. But this label is just budding, and we can't predict its future yet.

    @stylemefab: I agree that it seems like a collection just for Gaga. But ever since Gaga's videos, Thierry Mugler has been associated with Lady Gaga, and I can see why we make this connection.

    @Krystal: Actually, I sure hope not! Celebs have taken enough fashion magazine covers away from real models, and if celebrities start taking away the runway, fashion just might be ruined for me!

    @Haute World: I can see what you mean by that it's not cohesive. It does seem to jump between different looks, but I think overall the sculptural shapes tied the show together, along with an overall dark aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Uh.. the video looks painful..

    ReplyDelete