March 1, 2011

Prada Fall/Winter 2011 RTW

Once again, Fashion Week is sprinting away and mocking me for falling so far behind.  It's almost impossible to keep up with all the collections unless you're actually in the fashion industry. Hopefully, one day I'll eventually walk side-by-side with Fashion Week.  Until then, I am ending my Milan coverage (which is significantly shorter than my New York coverage) with Prada.  Miuccia Prada, like Marc Jacobs, often evolves dramatically with each collection, and so it's either I love Prada, or I don't.  I loved the Fall 2011 collection, but Spring 2011 left me uninterested.  For Fall/Winter 2012, Prada referenced the twenties flapper - or sixties dolly bird - with drop waists, and wide low-slung belts against big buttoned shifts or coats.  This silhouette was carried throughout the show.
As with any experienced designer, transitions are made subtle.  Prada mixed in some gleaming fur and wide, python coats...
...before hitting us with coats with dramatic fur lapels.  This look signaled the beginning of my favourite part of the collection:
Then in a continuation of the shine in the look above, Prada brought out pieces decorated with big, shiny, plastic scales, and a couple of soft, sheer dresses:
With this collection, it's not easy for me to say whether or not I like it.  I was not so keen on the beginning on the show, but it got better and better as it went along.  I'm tending towards a positive assessment of this collection, but give me time to mull over it...

Watch the entire show here.

Image Source: Style.com

20 comments:

  1. thanks for your kind comment !
    what about Prada ? really I dislike this collection, nothing that I would spare for....or die for .



    ave

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right one with the review! I wasn't into the collection in the beginning but then it got really exciting with those plastic colored dresses and those clutches! I don't like it as much as their previous collections but it's still well-done and it's Prada! :-) xxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say 'You're right on with the review!". xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it!!!




    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I really love the patterns Prada used for the next fall/winter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love that blue color!!! :D
    (and I think its Coco Rocha, hehe)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm relatively indifferent to Prada as of late. This collection was ok. I'm not too keen on the furs (other labels did it better... like Burberry), but I like some of the geometric prints they used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never really been a fan of Prada:) but I like the colours that they use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree almost completely with your review. In fact I like this collection apart from some looks. It is complicate, in this case, to say "yes I lvoe evrything..." because she mixes a lot of style and things and so this show could be appreciated by almsot everyone, at leat one look.
    However I like the s/s 2011 show more than this one, this is the only thing with which I don't agree with you. But, in general, I find this colelction soemthing really itneresting and cool! The most fashion show of milan fashion week!


    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your commentary (and totally agree about feeling like fashion week just leaves you in the dust. i'm so behind on the collections!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOT COLLECTION!

    come check out my GIVEAWAY!!

    xx.M

    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first three coats with the fur lapels are incredible - love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a very weird collection, I think there's sth wrong with the styling, some items don't go together... I'm hoping the actual products are gonna look better :l

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! I'm noticing disheveled collections all over the place for fall. I just hope it doesn't get full blown into that whole grunge thing again which is starting to sneak in here and there XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually enjoyed this collection but I guess I enjoyed the humor and all the cliches that as industry we enjoy so much. And of course, I too, loved the the fur and the mermaid sequins.
    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um honestly Im not a fan, but there are some pretty pieces. But shine? oh no! please, they look like fish :S

    See you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Prada is my love, no. 1 in my list....although I ahd never owned a shoe yet..someday I will. The designs shown are very fierce and astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Prada never disappoints. I love the coat inn the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not surprised you needed time to digest - I felt similar - I now think I have a love/hate relationship with it, loved the glasses, boots and coats, really unsure about the caps and the fishscale like dresses... hmmm indeed

    www.styleonthecouch.wordpress.com
    www.twitter.com/styleonthecouch

    ReplyDelete