October 1, 2010

Balmain Spring/Summer 2011 RTW

Balmain, I have two words for you: déjà vu.  Don't get me wrong, as a collection, there are some wonderfully crafted pieces; but as an entire brand, I've seen it all before.  I've come to expect tight pants or short shorts, strong-shouldered jackets, black booties, and short '80s dresses.  I like the look, and I'd wear it myself if I could, but I'm losing the excitement and anticipation for the shows.

For Spring/Summer 2011, Christophe Decarnin gave us a studded jackets mostly worn with shredded t-shirts or ripped fishnet stockings.
Among them were three bustier looks:
And another element of this season's collection, along with the studded embellishments, were metallic pants.
It's always preferable that a brand establish a strong, individual aesthetic, and it's quite obvious that Balmain has a very punk-chic look that Decarnin reinvents each season, but I feel that next season, Balmain needs to go in a slightly different direction. 

Watch the entire show here, although the quality is low: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzarXq1e3DU

Image Source: Style.com

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you - I looked at this collection before reading your text and I thought "eh...what else?" I love the metallic pants because shiny = happy :D but other than that idk. The grey/black and black/yellow pants are interesting - but I prefer Proenza's hand painted pants over this.

    Read, Follow + Share: Human for Human's Sake

    ReplyDelete